8:57 PM

White Chicken Chili

This is one of those recipes that I come back to again and again. It started out as a recipe that I got from Rachel Ray, but it has evolved into something that we rely on often for an easy meal.

Number of Servings: 8
Points Per Serving: 6

2 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
2 Poblano Peppers, diced
2 Anaheim Peppers, diced (the long green ones)
4 cloves garlic
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 Tbsp cumin, or to taste
2 cans Cannelini, Great Northern, or White Kidney Beans, drained (see note)
2-3 cups chicken broth, or water with chicken boullion
2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste

Heat a large deep skillet or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil. Add the onion and saute until slightly softened. Throw in the peppers and garlic, cooking until softened, a little browning is a good thing in this one. Add in the chicken and cumin, let the chicken get a little color. Add the beans, then pour in the chicken broth until it is the consistency that you like. Let simmer for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Season with cilantro, salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with some cilantro and sour cream or plain yogurt. Enjoy!

A Little Note about Beans: Now, I put 2 cans of beans in this recipe, but I prefer to use beans that I prepare myself from their dried state. It is actually very easy to do (just follow the directions) and I like the texture and flavor a lot more. Some might think I am crazy to find the time to do this... but I also am a big fan of saving money as they are much, much cheaper!

0 comments: